With his eighth victory back on the 26th of March, five-year old grey Monkey Bones gelding Sir George Grey furthered his fine grass track record to five wins from six starts for Mike and Susan Clegg.
This latest grass track success came on the opening day of Hawera’s Easter meeting, settling back in the field, he effortlessly strode to the lead for regular driver David Butcher winning the 2100m standing start event by 11⁄4 lengths in 2:51.4/T2:11.3.
Raced on grass at the Taranaki TC meetings, the squaregaiter was third on 1 April and unplaced on the second day (3 April) when his pacing bred stable- mate Franco Nadal won the main trot, his eighth success but first for Balle stable.
Sir George Grey’s five grass track victo- ries have been at Ruakaka (Northland HRC January 2014), Avondale (Kumeu TC February 2014), Te Kapua Park (Stratford TC February 2015), Pukekura Raceway (Taranaki TC March 2015) and Hawera Racecourse (March 2016). His overall grass record now stands at 8 : 5 – 0 -1 with a best mile rate on grass of T2:07.2 recorded over 1750mM at New Plymouth in March 2015. David Butcher handled him in all but the Kumeu win where Zac Burtcher kept the winning driving streak in the family.
His three all-weather track successes have been at Cambridge (Tuesday June 2013, the day before David Butcher left to represent NZ at 2013 World Drivers Championship in France), Alexandra Park (Franklin TC April 2014) and Cam-bridge again in May 2014, with James Stormont handling him in the latter two victories after David Butcher was side-lined by injury. A winner in each season he has raced, coming at two (1), three (4), four (2), five (1) with the latest two wins first up after nine and six month spells respectively. Sir George Grey’s overall race record currently shows 37 : 8 – 4 -4. $56,333, T2:03.6.
Trained at Pukekohe by Derek Balle, with wife Raelene’s assistance, Sir George Grey is the latest quality trotter produced from Balle’s stable. The most notable of these have been :
– Martina H (14 NZ/4 AUS wins, T1:59.2, $400k+; Rowe Cup, Dominion Hcp – deadheat with Take A Moment, ID heats (2), Holmfield, VIC Trotters Derby heat (4th final), Dullard Cup; seconds VIC Trotters Oaks, National Trot (twice), Rowe Cup, Challenge Stakes, ID Grand Final; thirds Trotting C/S, National Trot, Dullard Cup; fourths Cambridge Flying Mile, ID Grand Final, City of Sails FFA (three times)
– Galleons Sunset (12 NZ/2 AUS wins, T1:58.9, $300k+; Bill Collins Mile, ID Grand Final; second and third Cam-bridge Flying Mile; fifth Rowe Cup
– Other Trotters including – Lleyton H (15 NZ/2 AUS wins, T1:58.4; ID Conso- lation, VIC McNamara Memorial; fourth Dominion Hcp); Bangers And Mash (7 NZ wins, T1:57.2US); Cool Kahli (7 wins); Moment Of Truth (4/27 wins for Balle); Cool Cobber (3/9 wins for Balle, fourth Rowe Cup); Sunease (10w)
– Pacers including – Jag Star, 2/9 wins for Balle, Waikato Flying Mile (1:54.6); Master Charlie (8 wins, fourth Franklin Cup)
Closing in on 200 driving successes, Balle’s training stats currently stand at 392 (180 trotters). Of these, 238 (112 trotters) are on his own account, the balance in partnerships with Peter Blanchard, Ian Small, Steve Clarke and Owen Gillies.
Andover Hall stallion Monkey Bones (deceased), sire of Sir George Grey, has left 22 winners of 71 races for $550,000 in NZ including Idle Bones (8 wins, $68,404, T2:00.7), 7 race winners
Bones ($75,461, T2:02.6), Millicent (5 wins, $37,825, T2:00.6), Jayceekay (4 wins, $31,463, T2:00.9).
Sir George Grey’s dam Georgeina (Sun- don/Bonnie Quine), now owned by the Cleggs, won one race (New Plymouth for Dane Alexander) and is dam of eight foals to date (seven for Cleggs), three to race for two winners :
– John Joseph (2007g Earl), 2 wins, T2:06.6
– Sir George Grey (2010g), as above
Grand dam Bonnie Quine (Chiola Hanover/Sergalina), was a two race winner (Claudelands, Morrinsville TC/ Cambridge) and dam of six foals for three to race with two winners :
– Georgeina (1997f), as above – T K Victor (1999g Simon Roydon), 4 NZ wins, T2:04.6, $31,824, NZSS – 2T, 2yo Trotter of Year; 5 Aus wins, T2:09.4AUS, $27,337, SA Trotters Derby; T1:58.1US; total earnings $77,060 from 12 wins Bonechip ($71,051, T2:00.0) and Doctor
Third dam Sergalina (Sergio Hanover/ Lady Evalina), was the winner of six races (three each at Cambridge and Al- exandra Park) from 133 starts, T2:07.4, $45,960. She was dam of two live foals only with Bonnie Quine the only starter.
Fourth dam Lady Evalina also left Felicia, 5 wins [all at two] from 7 2/3yo starts, T2:06.7, $10,045, NZ Trotting Stakes- 2T, 2yo Trotter of Year). Felicia was dam of four winners including Workaholic (6 wins); grand dam of Three By Two (16 AUS wins, $89,607, T2:00.7, Jim McNeill Trot Final, Gp3 Albion Park).
Sir George Grey comes from the family of Logan Lass (N129) which includes trotters Royal Romance (Dominion Hcp), Royal Mile (Trotting Stakes – 3T), Profile (Dullard Cup) and open class pacers Royal Trump, Junior Royal (Na- tional/Ollivier Hcps); Another Stubbies (NSWSS – 3f), Empire Knight (1:56.1US, $157,320, USA Fireball Series), El Vic- tory (1:55.2US, $190,200), Il Campione (1:53.0US, $160,377, Otaki Cup, North- ern Country Cups C/S).